Welcome to ANZMES
Welcome to the Associated New Zealand ME Society (ANZMES), serving New Zealanders with Myalgic Encephalopathy/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since 1980. ANZMES objects in the constitution are:
- To provide support for and publish and distribute information to groups and individuals suffering from or interested in ME/CFS including their families and carers.
- To provide a National focus for and to represent individual sufferers and support groups for ME/CFS in New Zealand.
- To promote research into the study of ME/CFS, and of the causes and treatments of this disease and to liaise internationally and keep abreast of currant research.
- To maintain ANZMES position as advisory body in this area of ME/CFS.
- To raise awareness of ME/CFS by educating health professionals and the wider community about this medical condition.
- To produce a regular publication to all subscribing members to disseminate information and support.
We provide information, support and practical advice for people, families and carers affected by ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalopathy/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). We also fund and support research, and offer education and training. ME/CFS is a debilitating and complex disorder characterized by profound fatigue that is not improved by bed rest and that may be worsened by physical or mental activity. Symptoms affect several body systems and may include weakness, muscle pain, impaired memory and/or mental concentration, and insomnia, which can result in reduced participation in daily activities. ME/CFS is known by many other names such as Tapanui Flu, Yuppie Flu etc.
In New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 20,000 sufferers. ME/CFS is thought to afflict around 150,000 in the UK, and over one million in the US. The economic cost to each family with a sufferer has been estimated to be in the region of NZ$35-45,000 per year.
Whether you are a person with ME/CFS, a medical professional, a caregiver or just curious, we hope that the information you find here will improve your understanding of this devastating illness that affects approx three/four in a thousand New Zealanders. There is a network of support groups throughout New Zealand that are are affiliated to ANZMES.
On this website, you will find a range of useful information for sufferers and their families, caregivers, friends and medical professionals. It is an evolving site however, so please visit again.
Our logo is the New Zealand Albatross. This is illustrative as these birds need a good strong wind to lift them up so that they can fly. Rather like the help sufferers need from others in order to be able to take off and fly again for themselves.
ANZMES survey is situated on the Events and News page thankyou.
ANZMES accepts Donations and Bequests. Any Donation over $5 is tax deductible and receipts are given for Donations.
ANZMES bank is Westpac Number 01-0414-0276330-00
Cheques can be sent to the ANZMES office at ANZMES Inc,
P.O. Box 36-307,